Here’s a fresh, high-fibre, plant-powered recipe to keep that digestive system happy and moving along as it should. (no heavy poop or bloated bellies weighing you down here!)
Papaya Avocado Berry Salad - serves 2
Combine the following in a medium bowl:
- 1 medium papaya, diced
- 1 medium avocado, diced
- ¾ cup jicama*, diced
- ⅓ cup fresh berries, sliced or whole
- 2 Tbs or 4 halves walnuts, chopped & toasted
Then make the dressing:
Berry Balsamic Salad Dressing
- 2 cups mixed fresh berries, frozen thawed ok (like blackberries, blueberries, strawberries and raspberries)
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tb fresh citrus juice (like lemon, lime or orange juice)
- 2 tsp honey, unpasteurized
- 1 tsp Dijon or spicy mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon Himalayan Pink or Grey/Celtic Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Optional additions: to kick your dressing up a notch, add 1 small clove garlic, chopped &/or 1 Tb finely chopped fresh thyme leaves.
In a blender or mini food processor, puree berries. Place a small strainer over a bowl. Pour pureed berries into strainer, pressing with the back of a spoon to remove the seeds. Return pureed berries to blender or food processor.
Add all remaining ingredients except oil; process until smooth. Add the oil slowly (by teaspoons), again until smooth. Taste, then add more honey, salt and pepper if desired.
Gently toss the salad with 2-3 Tbs of the dressing. Enjoy!
*If substituting for raw jicama, try using a crisp green apple. You can also try celery, which provides the same crunch you get from jicama, or Asian Pear, radish or seeded cucumber.